Saturday, May 12, 2012

Planner Problems


In case you didn't know - I am just slightly obsessed with planners and notebooks.  This is a really long, post about my planner angst - just warning you!

I started out 2012 using my Quo Vadis Business planner with the Robert Le Heros cover.  I've been using this format for the past several years, but it experienced planner fail early in the year when I had some very busy weeks.  I really needed lots of room to plan my days and write in my tasks.  So I went on the search for a new planner - and trust me, I've spent way too much time and money on various planners in my quest for the best one!  Usually I stick with one planner for the entire year.  It's May and I've already switched numerous times.

Last year I bought a Pocket Raspberry Finchley Filofax to use as a notebook.  I still adore the Filofax, and so I decided I'd try to incorporate my planner into the Filofax.  So began the search for the right inserts.  I first tried Filofax day per page inserts in combo with the month on two pages.  It turned out to be way too small in the pocket size Filo and I hated the flimsy paper.  Then I ordered the Kate Spade 2012 inserts.  These are really great - beautiful pictures, nice thick paper, and they fit the pocket Filo perfectly, but they had two problems, they were week on two pages (not enough room for tasks) and I couldn't fit everything into the planner - I could barely fit the month pages, let alone the week pages.

Then there was an attempt to move to a personal size Filo.  I ordered a Chameleon in aqua and a Classic in cherry.  Both of them were returned.  I got them in the mail and just couldn't picture myself using them - plus I don't like the filofax inserts and couldn't find any others that I liked.

Next came the Moleskine Weekly Planner and Notebook, soft cover in the pocket size.  I have successfully used this planner in the past.  It has plenty of room to write tasks each week - but I've grown to love the vertical timed column format of the Quo Vadis and just can't get over not being able to see and plan my days that way.

Then I tried the Moleskine Daily planner in the large format.  It's was Peanuts special edition.  It only lasted a couple of days. It was too big and bulky to haul around.  Plus, I didn't like the hard cover.

So, I'm back to the Quo Vadis Business planner for my schedule and tasks (with sticky notes if it's a crazy week) and my Filofax for notes and lists.  I think my next move is to try a personal size Filo with Franklin Covey inserts.

Stay Tuned... I know you're just dying to see what I end up with ;) There are always academic planners with July start dates hitting the stores now...

No comments:

Post a Comment